You are here
Transatlantic Week 2018
This year’s Transatlantic Week theme is ‘Troubled waters? Bridging the transatlantic gap’. The transatlantic relationship has been the cornerstone of global stability and growth. With governments on both sides of the Atlantic turning more inward, transatlantic relations are heading into uncharted waters. Is now the time for business to step up and bridge the gap?
The Transatlantic Economy Report 2018 will be launched during the event. This annual report presents the most up-to-date facts and figures about the EU-US economic relationship. The study includes dedicated profiles for 30+ European countries and all US states.
Maxime Bureau, Chairman, AmCham EU
9.00 View from Brussels
Jyrki Katainen, Vice-President for Jobs, Growth, Investment and Competitiveness, European Commission
9.30 View from Paris
Jean-Baptiste Lemoyne, Secretary of State, Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs, French Government
10.00 Presentation of Transatlantic Economy 2018 Report
Joe Quinlan, Senior Fellow, Center for Transatlantic Relations, Johns Hopkins University
10.30 Panel 1: Tried and tested? The EU-US relationship in uncharted waters
- Edita Hrda, Managing Director, Americas, European External Action Service
- Norbert Röttgen, Chair of the Committee on Foreign Affairs, Member of the Bundestag
- Manisha Singh, Assistant Secretary of State for Economic and Business Affairs, US Government
- Xenia Wickett, Head, US and Americas Programme, Chatham House
- Moderator: Andreas Kluth, Editor-in-Chief, Handelsblatt Global
11.15 Unfreezing transatlantic trade: View from both sides
- Ignacio Garcia Bercero, Director, Neighbouring countries, USA and Canada, DG TRADE, European Commission
- Dan Mullaney, Assistant United States Trade Representative for Europe and the Middle East, US Government
11.45 View from European business
Jean-Pierre Clamadieu, CEO, Solvay
12.10 Remarks from Chair of AmCham EU Executive Council
Aongus Hegarty, Chair AmCham EU Executive Council and President EMEA, Dell EMC
12.15 Panel 2: Transatlantic leadership in the new economy: What role for business?
- Aongus Hegarty, Chair, AmCham EU Executive Council and President EMEA, Dell EMC
- Luc Triangle, General Secretary, IndustriAll
- Véronique Willems, Secretary General, UEAPME (TBC)
- Moderator TBC
13.00 Lunch and presentation of the Transatlantic Award 2018
- Award winner: Věra Jourová, Commissioner for Justice, Consumers and Gender Equality, European Commission
- Presented by: Susan Danger, CEO, AmCham EU
Transatlantic Award 2018 Winner
Věra Jourová, European Commissioner for Justice, Consumers and Gender Equality
As part of Transatlantic Week, we will also be presenting the Transatlantic Award 2018. Launched in 2004, the award acknowledges an individual dedicated to the promotion and growth of the transatlantic economy.
The membership of AmCham EU has selected Věra Jourová, European Commissioner for Justice, Consumers and Gender Equality for her exceptional efforts to enhance transatlantic cooperation on a range of issues including data protection, which led to the conclusion and ongoing implementation of the 2016 EU-US Privacy Shield. The free movement of data is critical to ensuring the continued flow of trade and investment within the transatlantic economy – the largest of its kind in the world.