You are here
Competition Policy Conference
Thursday, 22 November 2018 (9.00-14.00)
Competition, digitisation and fairness
Competition gives consumers the power to demand a fair deal. But this concept of ‘fairness’ is increasingly debated in today’s world, where markets are driven and shaped by digital technology. From artificial intelligence and Big Data to the role of national competition authorities in digital markets, the 35th edition of AmCham EU’s annual Competition Policy Conference will explore the evolving relationship between competition, digitisation and fairness.
The Annual Competition Policy Conference brings together EU and US representatives to exchange views on the development of efficient competition policies reflecting the needs and interests of both business and consumers.
Welcome and opening address
08.30 – 09.00 Registration and welcome coffee
09.00 - 09.15 Opening remarks
Dr Bertold Bär-Bouyssière, Partner, DLA Piper and Co-Chair of AmCham EU Competition Policy Committee
09.15 – 10.15 Panel 1: Data and market power: How best to protect consumers?
- David Cardwell, Senior Associate, Baker Botts LLP
- Cyril Ritter, Antitrust case support and policy, DG Competition, European Commission
- Carel Maske, Senior Attorney, Microsoft
Moderated by Jay Modrall, Partner, Norton Rose Fulbright LLP and Co-Chair of AmCham EU Competition Policy Committee
10.15– 11.15 Panel 2: Theories of harm: what evidence is required?
- Oliver Bethell, Head of Competition EMEA, Google
- Anneleen Straetemans, Global Legal Director Competition, AB InBev
- Marco Ramondino, Case Handler Unit E.4 (Mergers), DG Competition, European Commission
- Angélique de Brousse, Counsel, Freshfileds Bruckhaus Deringer
Moderated by Tomas Nilsson, Associate, Latham & Watkins LLP
11.15 – 11.30 Coffee break
11.30-12.30 Panel 3: Competition enforcement in digital markets: challenges and trends for National Competition Authorities
- Susanne Zuelke, Partner, Wilkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Sandro Gleave, Bundeskartellamt (German Federal Cartel Office)
- Karen Jelgerhuis Swildens, Legal and Competition Counsel, Booking.com
- Olaf Christiansen, Senior Vice President, Bertelsmann
Moderated by Salomé Cisnal de Ugarte, Managing Partner, Hogan Lovells and Vice-Chair of AmCham EU Competition Policy Committee
12.45-13.30 Closing keynote address
Margrethe Vestager, European Commissioner for Competition
13.30-14.00 Walking lunch – end of conference
See a snapshot of previous conferences