You are here
European Commission's proposal for a new European Electronic Communications Code
uploaded15 Dec 2016
- AmCham EU welcomes the proposal for a new European Electronic Communications Code which gives Europe an opportunity to adapt to challenges and prepare for the future needs of the digital economy and society.
- The European Commission’s proposal rightly focuses on driving investments in world-class communications networks while at the same time maintaining the Significant Market Power (SMP) competition law based approach.
- The proposals on spectrum are a step in the right direction, but should be considered as the minimum requirement, further alignment would be desirable in a world where everything will be increasingly connected wirelessly.
- A more layered approch needs to be applied to services regulation. In order to enable a flourishing digital ecosystem, legislators should seek a horizontal as opposed to a sector-specific regulatory approach, and a harmonised, pan-European approach.
- Finally, legislators should carefully consider to not create any unneccessary regulatory burden on the development of Internet of Things.